Fellow, Salzburg Seminar in American Studies, 1977
Master of Architecture, 1960, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Commonwealth Fund (Harkness) Fellow, 1958-60, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Arts (First Class Hons. in Arch.), 1955, University College, London
- President, Peter Sugar, Architect, Lincoln, MA, 2006-
- Principal, Ann Beha Architects, Boston, MA 1998 - 2006
- Associate, Ellenzweig Associates, Cambridge, MA, 1995-98
- Director of Operations, SAR Engineering, Quincy, MA, 1991-95
- Principal, Peter C. Sugar & Associates, Boston, MA, 1985-91
- Senior Associate. Brown Daltas & Associates, Cambridge, MA & Rome, Italy, 1977-85
- Senior Associate, Eduardo Catalano, Cambridge, MA, 1968-77
- Principal, James Associates, Indianapolis, IN, 1962-67
- AIA Portland, Honor Award for Renovation and Expansion, Portland Art Museum, Pacific Northwest Chapter, 2001
- Boston Society of Architects/AIA, Honor Award for Renovation and Expansion, Portland Art Museum, Portland, OR, 2001
- Boston Preservation Alliance Award, Mary Baker Eddy Library for the Betterment of Humanity, 2002
- AIA Central Massachusetts / Preservation Worcester, Honor Award for Historic Preservation, Warner Theater, Worcester Academy, 2000
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Design Excellence in Performance, Master Plan, Fort Devens, MA, 1988
- AIA Merit Award (Indiana Chapter), Friedens United Church of Christ, Indianapolis, IN, 1965
- RIBA Donaldson Silver Medal at the Bartlett School of Architecture, University College, London, 1955
Massachusetts Institute of Technology: seminar on ‘Exploration of the Design Process’, 2004
‘Build Boston’: seminars for the BSA on Project Management and Project Delivery, 1997 and 1998
Massachusetts Institute of Technology: seminar on ‘Transitions – the Design Process, 1987
BSA Office Information Management Systems Task Force, Chair, 1998-2002
BSA B141 Re-write Committee, 1996-97
BSA Professional Practice Committee, 1995-97
Joint Committee of Architects, Engineers and Land Surveyors on Professional Practice BSA Liaison, 1995
Other Public Service
Town of Lincoln Finance Committee (Chair 1992-94), 1989-94
Town of Lincoln Selectman (Chair 1996, 1999), 1994-2000
Hanscom Area Towns (HATS) Selectman – Lincoln rep., 1994-99 Town of Lincoln School Building Committee, 1992-98
Town of Lincoln Public Safety Building Committee, 1993-98
Town of Lincoln Capital Planning Committee, 1996-99
Lincoln Homes Corporation (Lincoln Woods) Board Chair, 1999-2003
Bemis Hall Repair and Restoration Committee, Chair, 2000-2008
deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum, Overseer, 2003-2009, Trustee, 2009-
• Chair, Building and Grounds Committee, 2009-2013
• Treasurer/Chair, Finance Committee, 2013-2018
Lincoln Public Library Trustee; Chair of Building and Grounds Committee, 2004-
Farrar Pond Village Board of Managers, 2006-2009, 2011-2013
Lincoln Cultural & Historic Resources and Governance Sub-Committee, Chair 2007-2010
Lincoln Comprehensive Plan Implementation Committee, Chair 2010-2013
Lincoln School Building Advisory Committee, 2013-2015
Minuteman Regional Technical High School, Lexington, MA; Building Committee 2011-2017
Lincoln School Building Committee, 2017-
Professional Registrations & Associations
Massachusetts, Indiana (dormant), New Hampshire (dormant), Oregon (dormant), Rhode Island (dormant), Maryland (dormant), Washington D.C. (dormant)
United Kingdom (ARCUK)
Commonwealth of Australia (dormant)
Associate, American Institute of Architects (AIA)
Associate, Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
Selected Project Experience
The Mary Baker Eddy Library for the Betterment of Humanity, First Church of Christ Scientist, Boston, MA
Principal in Charge. The Library was a new facility of 80,000 s.f. placed inside the original 1932 Publishing House on the Christian Science campus. It involved the rehabilitation of the building and the restoration of the stone façade, including climate control and vapor barriers, and the addition of a new state-of-the-art entrance of glass and steel construction with a new public forecourt and fountain. (Budget: $50M)
Middlesex School Chapel, Concord, MA
Principal in Charge. The project was an expansion of the Chapel and the installation of a new organ. Also included were the increase of seating capacity inside the Chapel - without affecting the overall appearance – and the addition of facilities for Reception and music practice.
Worcester Academy – a new Library-Classroom building as well as the restoration of the historic Warner Theatre, Worcester, MA
Principal in Charge. These were two projects, both of some significance. The Theatre involved the restoration and rehabilitation of a historic theatre as well as increasing its capacity and providing handicapped access; the Library-Classroom building was the addition of classroom facilities and providing a new home for the Library, making it more central to student life.
Portland Art Museum, Portland, OR
Principal in Charge. This was a multi phase project over many years, increasing the museum's galleries and providing much needed ancillary spaces, as well as a new sculpture garden on the exterior. The project included both historic restoration, and new additions, including a state-of-the-art glass and steel five-story atrium, curtain-walled penthouses, and new galleries inside an old Masonic Temple. (Budget: $50M)
Taft Museum, Cincinnati, OH
Principal back-up to oversee the CA effort of a complex design and addition to a historic house museum.
Druckenmiller Hall, Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME
Project Manager of the CA phase. The project was a new Chemistry Building for the College, which included laboratories, classrooms, a library and other ancillary facilities, all within an envelope of brick and curtain wall construction.
Traction Power Substation, Boston, MA
Technical advisor for the design of a pre-manufactured steel and stone rainscreen exterior envelope.
UMass Medical Center, Worcester, MA
Architect of record for the retrofitting of new fire-protection systems within the hospital and medical school, while the building remained open and operational.
Hampden County Hall of Justice, Springfield, MA
Senior Associate and Project Manager. The project involved the design and construction of a new courthouse of 225,000 s.f., which included superior and district courts, a law library as well as facilities for the Hampden County Commissioners. The construction was cast-in-place concrete and precast double-tee floors, with high quality interior finishes.
Greensboro-Guilford County Governmental Center, Greensboro, NC
Senior Associate and Project Manager. The project involved the design and construction of a new 225,000 s.f. courthouse, a new 200,000 s.f. City Hall with a large interior atrium, the Central Police Station, as well as an underground parking garage, all around a city square and connected to the existing historic Courthouse
Delaware Art Museum, Wilmington, DE
Principal in Charge. Master Plan, Renovation and Expansion, with a final budget of $22M.
U.S. Embassy, Buenos Aires, Argentina
New embassy building.
U.S. Embassy, Singapore
Feasibility study for a new embassy using a design-build approach.
U.S. Embassy, Cyprus
Conceptual design, new embassy.
Embassy Apartments, Bangkok
Feasibility study for 100 apartments for U.S. foreign service staff.
Saudi Arabian National Center for Science and Technology, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Complex of buildings, including department headquarters, a national scientific library, offices, and a conference center.
King Khalid Military City - Centrum, Al Batin, Saudi Arabia
Design of numerous municipal buildings and officers’ residential quarters.
Marion College Library, Marion, IN
New campus library building.
St. Christopher's Episcopal Church, Hampstead, NH
New Sanctuary and Social Hall, together with the remodeling of an existing building to house Education and Administration.
First Lutheran Church, Berkeley Street, Boston, MA
Feasibility Study for expansion; remodeling of Social Hall and Sunday School.
Friedens United Church of Christ, Indianapolis, IN
Master Plan; new Sanctuary, Educational, Social and Administrative facilities; project received AIA Merit Award.
Emanuel Lutheran Church, Tipton, IN
Master Plan; new Sanctuary, Educational, Social and Administrative facilities.
St. Mark's Lutheran Church, Evansville, IN
Master Plan; new Sanctuary, Educational, Social and Administrative facilities.
Noblesville Junior High School, Noblesville, IN
New junior high school.
Plainfield Junior-Senior High School, Plainfield, IN
New high school.
Christ Church College, Canterbury, England
Residential church college.
- Impressions of Italy, 2014
- Impressions of Lincoln, 2001 (a numbered and limited edition of 250 copies of the author’s sketches), Second Edition 2009
- Architectural Record, November 2005
- American Libraries, May 2003
- Architectural Record, March 2003
- Architectural Record, February 2003
- The Architectural Review, November 2002
- The New York Times, October 19, 2002
- The Concord Journal, March 7, 2002
- Architectural Record, November 2001
- The Philadelphia Enquirer, October 12, 2001
- The New York Times, October 8, 2000